HMRC and Tax Support
It is very important to ensure that your current tax code is correct in order to avoid under or overpaying tax. If you are concerned about the amount of tax you have paid, we strongly encourage you to contact HMRC and set up a Personal Tax Account.
Your Personal Tax Account
The Personal Tax Account is a new HMRC online system bringing all of your personal tax details into one place so that you can register, file, pay and update your tax information online at any time. It also enables you to instantly access to information and can also be used for the following:
- Claim a tax refund
- Check income tax for the current and previous year
- Check your state pension forecast
- See your National Insurance record
- Manage Tax Credits and Child Benefit
- Notify a change of address
- Apply for Marriage Allowance
- Track the progress or forms and go paperless
Whilst we are unable to answer queries relating to taxation, a Personal Tax Account will enable you to quickly access your own records, see what information HMRC holds and update your information directly.
A Personal Tax Account can be accessed on any device e.g. PC, tablet or smartphone. Accessing a Personal Tax Account is safe, secure and takes just a few minutes to get started.
How Can I Get Started?
- Firstly, you will need to set up a Government Gateway Account on their website here.
- YouTube videos can help you through the process and may help if you are struggling to access your Personal tax Account. These can be found by searching YouTube for ‘HMRCgov.uk’ account.
- A series of webinars has also been developed, offering step-by-step explanations of how to log into the Personal Tax Account and how to complete certain transactions. Webinars can be found by searching for ‘webinars’ on GOV.UK.
- HMRC also provide web-chat services for employees whilst they are online. Web-chat is a personalised service with tax experts who can provide advice and guidance about tax matters, as well as how to navigate and use the online service.
The contact number for HMRC is 0300 200 3300